The public preview for Dynamics 365 Business Central 2023 release wave 1 (BC22) is available. Learn more: Link.
I will continue to test and share some new features that I hope will be helpful.
Access actions and navigation menu efficiently with keyboard:
Organizations are looking to streamline their operations through AI, automation, and empowering workers with productivity tools. When time to enter data is critical, every keystroke and mouse click counts. Business Central adopts the familiar experience from Microsoft 365 applications, such as Excel and Word, to boost efficiency for keyboard users. Access keys with key tips help users quickly explore, navigate, and activate any action in the action bar, navigation menus, and other user interface (UI) elements.
As you might know, In addition to the general Keyboard Shortcuts in Business Central, we can define the ShortcutKey Property for the action to set a shortcut key for selecting a menu item.
For example, in page 42 “Sales Order”:
But most actions don’t have keyboard shortcuts and shortcut keys are hard to discover, so using only the keyboard to operate the BC hasn’t become mainstream. With Business Central 2023 wave 1 (BC22), Microsoft has introduced a shortcut approach similar to the Office product (Outlook, Excel, Word…..), pressing the Alt key.
Let’s see som details.
When pressing the Alt key in the Business Central web client, the following features become available:
- Key tips are revealed alongside UI elements that indicate the next keystroke.
- Sequences of keystrokes can be used to navigate the user interface and activate UI elements, without leaving your current focused element.
- Actions become reachable, regardless of whether they are assigned a specific shortcut key.
- Access keys will be available for actions in the action bar and links in the navigation menu for users who experience Business Central in English.
Role Center actions:
Subpage (Purchase Lines):
1. As of now, this feature is only available in English. Even if you don’t have a language pack installed, if the language is not English, pressing Alt will not display the Shortcut key.
2. Not currently available for Page parts.
3. All key tips determined by platform and based on captions in current language, so no dev effort required.
Hope this will help.
Thanks for reading.